Hyaluronic Acid… it sounds a little scary, like something that’s powerful and toxic, like something you wouldn’t want anywhere near your skin, let alone your face, right? Not so much. You’re right to assume that hyaluronic acid is powerful—but in a very, very good way.
This acid—which, no, doesn’t mean like a bubbling, burning acid—is a gel-like, moisture-binding substance that our bodies actually naturally produce. That’s right, it exists in our skin, our connective tissue, our eyes, and more.
If you’ve searched for products containing ingredients to relieve dry skin this winter, then you’ve definitely heard this buzzword thrown around—but if you’re not fully-versed in what this powerful substance is, then you’re missing out on an integral part of your skincare routine.
Discover and uncover the beauty, the power, and the importance of hyaluronic acid—right here!
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic Acid—AKA hyaluronan, AKA HA—is a clear, gooey substance that’s naturally produced by your body. Its main function is to help retain water and keep your tissues moist and well lubricated. In fact, it’s said that hyaluronic acid can help retain over 1,000 times its weight in water within the cells of the skin. Translation? It has a ton of great benefits, and moisturizing properties is definitely one of them.
If we already produce Hyaluronic Acid naturally, why do we need more?
Even though our bodies naturally gift us with a supply of Hyaluronic Acid——about 1/3 of it gets degraded on a daily basis. Furthermore, as we get older, we produce less and less Hyaluronic Acid—unfortunately, that’s the time our skin needs it most.
So, the real answer here is, we simply need more.
Why Hyaluronic Acid is Good For Your Skin!
Hyaluronic Acid is powerful. It has a ton of benefits that help create beautiful, healthy, glowing skin:
- Hyaluronic Acid can promote healthier skin overall—hello, supple. Hyaluronic Acid helps your skin look and feel healthier, especially as you age. Why? Because it’s giving you a much-needed boost of hydration— the secret to healthy, wrinkle-free skin.
- Reduces the visibility of fine lines & wrinkles—Hyaluronic Acid helps protect your skin, which means that it’s hydrated and well taken care of. When that part is already on-lock, your skin isn’t busy fighting for hydration—that means increased cell production can take place. Hyaluronic Acid won’t replace elastin, but it will help to tighten your complexion and give those fine lines the hydration they’re looking for.
- Smooth complexion—this one is especially relevant for those who have dealt with acne or acne scars over the years. No, HA can’t fill in those scars on its own, but it can provide you with a smoother-looking face as a result of its tightening and hydrating properties.
- Prevents age spots and hyperpigmentation—Because Hyaluronic Acid increases cell turnover, it can help reduce age spots and pigmentation issues. You’ll find your best results when you pair hyaluronic acid with vitamin c serums and vitamin c boosters.
- Promotes clarity—you know how it goes with skin. When it’s fighting for hydration, it overcompensates to hydrate by producing oil, which can result in some seriously unclear complexions. That’s why it’s a huge misconception that oily or acne-prone skin doesn’t need hydration—in fact, they probably do! Hyaluronic Acid provides that boost of hydration that’s necessary to keep skin clear, doing its job, and miles away from any overcompensation efforts that could result in broken out skin.
How to Use Hyaluronic Acid
The good news? You don’t need to get injections to boost your Hyaluronic Acid intake (though, Hyaluronic Acid injections are a thing!).
The best way to use your hyaluronic acid will depend on your form of HA. If you’re going for Hyaluronic Acid serum, apply this to damp skin and then use a moisturizer. This should help to seal in moisture and provide even more moisture for the HA to absorb. In fact, it doesn’t hurt to use a Hyaluronic Acid moisturizer on top of your HA serum, too.
Looking for more information about hyaluronic acid? Want to uncover the best way to include Hyaluronic Acid into your skincare salon offerings? Ready to implement a heavy dose of Hyaluronic Acid products into your spa right now? No matter what questions you might have, we’re here to help. Reach out to us to chat about hyaluronic acid, our HA products, and how you can start utilizing these products in your spa or salon ASAP.